Just a bump in the road...

"With God, all things are possible" Matthew, Chapter 19, Verse 26

Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy New Year

This past Monday the 10th of January was my last dose of chemo. YAY! It was a day of celebration. When I finished all the nurses gathered in the hall way near the exit to the chemo rooms where the "bell" sits on the wall. When you finish your treatments it's a wonderful feeling. They make you feel a huge since of accomplishment. You read a poem, and they present you with a diploma with all the nurses signatures on it.

Ring out

Ring this bell
3 times well
It's toll to clearly say,

My treatment is done
This course is run
And, I am on my way!

Rear Admiral Irve C. Le Moyne, USN

....and when you've finished you ring the bell 3 times. Everyone in all the rooms down the hall (chemo patients) clap and yell. It's an over whelming experience. You know it's coming because you've heard and joined in when others have done the same. So....having said that, there were tears, yep the faucet turned on & I could hardly get though the reading of the poem. Kevin was there the whole time filming the "ugly" cry.

I feel so blessed by all of you that have supported me through your prayers, gifts and wishes. That has truly pulled me through this journey. It's made such a difference and I have each and every one of you to thank.

From here I go into radiation. Like I've said in past post's, the chemo in the beginning kicked this cancer's butt. The first two treatments went from 11.5 cm down to 4 cm. And all the ones in my back were gone. That was so encouraging. I felt I had it licked. My doctor felt the same. He thought I'd be in remission by the 4th treatment and I'd be finishing up the last two for safe keeping. However he had to add two to the end of the treatment plan making them 8 in all. In 2 treatments it went down so drastic but in 6 treatments it only went down less than 1 cm.

So now I'm headed for radiation to finish this thing up. I met with Dr. Nanda a few weeks ago to explain what the treatment will be like. He explained it somewhat, but said I would have to have another pet scan to determine exactly how many. He predicted 17. Hopefully that will be it.

I'm scheduled for a pet scan January 24th to stage the cancer. From that they will find out if it's shrunk anymore in the last couple of chemo's. I have a muga scan on the 21st. That is where they take pictures of my heart and compare them to previous scans to make sure there hasn't been any damage from the treatments. According to Dr. Baidas, the chemo eats away at heart muscle and tissue. Which so far hasn't happened, thank God. Another part of this whole thing that had continued to amaze me.

I meet with Dr. Nanda the radiation doc on the 25th @ 4pm. Before that he will meet with Dr. Baidas and read the pet & muga scan's.

I really think this will target the cancer cells that are left in particular, like it was explained in the previous meeting with Dr. Nanda. Chemo can only reduce the cancer. Radiation eradicates it to the nth degree.

I'm encouraged that the steroids now will start wearing off. The fullness in my cheeks & other places.....will decrease & I'll start feeling like myself again.

My hair has already started growing back. I have a consistant layer of stubble. Thanks to Kamid (at work). evened out the growth with his clippers. I had a couple of areas that looked like little "tuffs" of grass, ha ha. Now I'm the same all over and it can grow out even.

I look forward to getting this radiation done and behind me and to a New Year cancer free.
Thanks again to your loving support.
Make it a great day,
Patsy


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will be a Happy New Year, I know prayer & positive thinking works and you have those bases covered.
Love You,
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Keep it going, Patsy. Scot and I are continually praying for your complete recovery. Was nice to talk to you last month. How funny things happen. I got a real sence how much Scot misses you. Keep up the good work. GAIL Kish